1. Add a fireplace for those frosty winter mornings when you’d rather linger in bed. Consider electric, pellet, or gas options.
2. Make your bedroom a refuge by using plenty of soft surfaces—rugs, curtains, pillows—to ensure peace and quiet.
3. Create a bunkroom for kids with tree-trunk supports and branches throughout to make it feel like they are sleeping in a treehouse!
4. Tuck an office nook behind a sliding barn door or heavy curtains.
5. Build in a loft for a cozy reading nook in any bedroom in the house.
6. Orient the master bedroom so you can wake up to the sunrise.
7. Instead of a traditional headboard, add a touch of nature by using reclaimed boards, grasscloth, or tiling with smooth stones.
8. Increase your storage space with a window seat; it’s a great place to keep linens and blankets, and toys in a child’s room.
9. Add a sitting area to your master bedroom. Sink the floor a step to make it feel truly separate.
10. Add a stackable washer and dryer in your master closet for ultimate efficiency.
11. Install a window in a walk-in closet to add brightness and make it easier to see.
12. Hide a wall-mounted television with shutters when it’s not in use.
13. Tuck bunkbeds into a corner to maximize space in a child’s room.
14. Add radiant heat under the flooring in the bedroom to make it easier to step out of bed on a chilly morning.
15. Add beadboard to a sloped ceiling to give your room a cottage feel.
16. Design a private deck off the master bedroom for a sunset glass of champagne or lingering over Sunday morning coffee.
Photography by Roger Wade Studio